I had am AMAZING weekend exploring Salamanca, but I will write about that in the next blog because right now i'm finding something else more important.
In an attempt at humbling myself I need to admit that while in Salamanca to this point I have been living of the world and not simply in it, which is the opposite of what God asks me to do. I have given into temptations and the desire to be accepted, and it began to affect my relationship with my King. Luckily, God never lets us get too far. "A thousand times i've failed still your mercy remains. Should I stumble again, still i'm caught in your grace. Everlasting your light will shine when all else fades." I think it is really incredible to see the ways in which God reaches us, and the people He sends when His arms are being rejected. There is a guy on the trip with me who I have known to be a Christian since day one, but haven't spent much time interacting with for some reason. We have had a few chats about our faith and our participation in leadership at different Christian groups at JMU, but nothing too deep. I have seen the way he shares his faith with those in the group and the strong desire he has to speak into the hearts of people. However, in my humanness my inspiration remained just that. Yesterday he came to me wanting to tell me all the ways in which he saw God working this weekend through out group. He had gotten the opportunity to share his testimony with members of the group who needed so badly to hear God's good news that they listened in tears. He explained to me how he had been praying for these opportunities and was so amazed at how God quickly provided. Interestingly enough, he came right when I needed him. We met for coffee last night to share our testimonies and talk about how to keep our eyes on God when much around us is not of Him. Last night we decided to start a bible study within our group. Kind of a beginners course if you will. In our conversation I also asked him to start holding me accountable to my calling to live in and not of the world. I wanted accountability to keep up (ok more like restart) my daily quiet times and to remember that I am acting as a steward of Christ to the people in this group, and my actions speak louder than my words. I knew coming into this that one of the challenges for me was going to be staying connected when outside the confines of my Christian bubble. I have struggled with it before and I now have struggled with it again. The difference is, last time God sent me opportunities and people to help me live closer to God and I ignored them. This time, I here Him loud and clear (at least i'm improving). This morning I woke up 20 minutes early to make an attempt at a quiet time. I reluctantly turned on my light and grabbed my bible. Before coming to Spain, my aunt Deidre gave me a journal which contained a list of bible verses that were meaningful to her (such an amazing gift). Up until now I had read one of the about 25 bible verses, but since I didn't know where to start my quiet time I decided to go to the next one on the list: Ephesians 4:17-32. Let me just say, I was blown away!!! One of the verses read (and I quote) "Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart." All I could think was YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!! What words?! How encourgaing (especially in this environment)?! It was like God knew I was going to need that verse at that specific time and knew I would go to that piece of paper. Ok so it wasn't like He knew, He just straight knew. He spoke directly into my heart as only God can do.
Have you ever noticed how much better your day is when it begins with God? I did! Its like the sun shines brighter, I smile wider, the air is crisper, and there is a spring in my step. If you didn't begin your day today with God, try it! Trust me, you will see a difference. When you give that time to God, He is so faithful in using it to speak to and fill you. Just try opening your bible and seeing where God leads you. He had probably had it planned forever the verse He wants you to bump into that day, so just trust and let Him guide your reading. When I did I literally fell out of bed I was so impressed!
I know God put me in this place for a reason, as He has a plan for every single one of His children. I guess I just needed a reminder that when I am following closely He works through me in supernatural ways. I now pray that God gives me the opportunities to share with people in our group and that God uses our bible study to bring these searching people into His heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment