Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Big Update

2 weekends ago-
While most of our group ventured to Portugal, I chose to stay behind in Salamanca and explore the city (I will be visiting Portugal with my parents when they come). I had such a magical weekend.  I took Saturday and some of Sunday to visit museums, see sights, walk the streets of the city, and take lots of pictures! It was so nice to be independent for a bit and not be planning around the opinions of 20 other people. I just started walking and stopped at places that looked interesting. I ended up visiting the Old and New Cathedrals of Salamanca, the Art Deco museum, and 2 different convents. I then walked along the river and later had a coffee and snack at a café on the Plaza. It was so great not having a schedule and just seeing where the day took me, plus I got lots of great pictures.
This past weekend-
Our group took a day trip to Segovia on Saturday where we got to see the aqueduct, the gardens at the Palacio de La Granja (like Spain’s version of Versailles) and Alcázar de Segovia, which is a castle where Isabel and Ferdinand once lived. It was a great trip and I am proud to announce this time I did not throw up on the bus! When we got back to Salamanca that night we had an hour to change, and in my case NAP, and then we met back to head to the Theatre. We saw a comedy, which was interesting because in all the places where the crowd was laughing I was turning to everyone going “what just happened?” I eventually learned to just smile and laugh when everyone else did. The good news was a lot of the humor was physical, which is funny in any language. I keep telling myself if I wasn’t exhausted I would have understood more, but I think that’s just to make me feel better. We then went to dinner at 11pm (way past my bedtime) at a Chinese restaurant because we were all craving and little sodium, MSG and cat (haha just kidding, well at least about the cat). The next day we toured some of Salamanca with the group. We visited the Cathedrals (my 3rd visit, so I am not an expert) and the University of Salamanca. The director of our program is an Art teacher at the university, so it is so nice to sightsee with him because he can explain all the history and architecture. We walked through the halls of the University and saw the classrooms (which are now just for viewing) where students just like us took classes about 5 centuries ago.  CRAZY! That night we went for a big Italian meal as a group… and when I say big I mean 10 courses! Every time you finished something they brought out another plate of food. Eating in Spain is definitely not a sprint, it’s a marathon. Last night they took us to see a Spanish movie, which actually ended up be really good and was super fun.
In other news-
We are starting to plan for Spring Break, so one of my friends and I went to the travel agent yesterday to talk about flights and stuff to ITALY!!!! I am so excited. I know her and I will travel really well together and it will be nice to not be with a huge group so we can do our own thing!
Also, I had a fantastic valentines day! My madre made my favorite meal, I went out for coffee with my friend Nate to chat about our bible study, and then went out with the girls in my new red dress! Granted walking to meet the girls in heels while it was raining was something out of a comedy. I fell on my butt twice, my umbrella turned inside out, and I arrive at the bar looking like a wet dog... but at least I got some laughs out of it!
Nate and I are starting our bible study today... we are meeting at a pub called the Holy Cross (kind of ironic) and tonight we will be giving our testimonies (wish me luck!). The exciting thing is... 12 our of the 23 people in our group have expressed interest in attending, which includes 1 person who is Jewish, 2 who are not sure what they believe, and 1 who used to be involved in the church but has become disconnected since being in college. God is so good! Please be praying for Nate and I as we take on this task God has given us. Please pray for patience, guidance, and the words to say, since we all know its not our words that matter but God's. I just pray that God uses this group as a chance to really touch the hearts of some of these people who are crying out for that love that only God can provide. Updates to come!
Thats all the update I have for now... god bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment