Well let me first say that while i'm typing this, I am sitting in a cafe in Spain drinking chocolate so thick it looks like someone melted a chocolate bar in a cup a served it to me, and eating churros while listening to "Its Raining Men" playing in the background. What a life! I could totally get used to this.
So far everything is going really well. We have a great host family. They are like the sweetest grandparents you could ever have and our madre is an amazing cook! I'm being very open to whatever she serves us and so far I have loved it all (even cooked cauliflower). My roommate and I are getting along really well too which is such a blessing!
Yesterday we took a walking tour of the city to get our bearings and I was blown away by how gorgeous this city is. They showed us where we will be taking our classes and as we walked up to one of the oldest universities in Europe all of our mouths dropped and we began asking eachother "we get to go to school there?!" Also, my Spanish is improving very quickly which is great. My first night our Madre would speak to us and I swear it took everything in me not to say "huh?" I just smiled and nodded, hoping that I was supposed to smile to what she was saying. The next day though understanding became much easier and now i'm even speaking back! I'm starting to think in Spanish and we are really working on speaking Spanish within our group which really helps us practice.
We had orientation today which was great for the control freak in me because I finally felt informed. It was so exciting to hear about all the excursions they have planned for us and the options for travel on the weekends.
Last night we all went out as a group and hoped from one bar to the next, exploring the city and having a great time. Everyone in our group seems really cool and we all have fun together which is good. We finished the night at a club and I was asked to dance by a Spanish guy (the only tall one in the room). I felt so Spanish dancing salsa, drinking Sangria (only 1, no one worry) and speaking Spanish with the locals.
Speaking of locals, we were also asked for directions (hopefully this means we blend in), which was awesome up until we had to stare at them blankly and say “no tenemos ningun idea (we have no idea).” Hey at least we could say that. They asked for directions to the only place in town we had been to 4 times and should have known like the back of our hand, but we were currently lost as well. Oh well, cool while it lasted.
Well thats it for now, much more to come. Thanks for all the prayers for safe travel, everything went very smoothly! I am missing you all and hope that life is bringing you adventures as well! Mucho amor :)
No comments:
Post a Comment