Saturday, April 2, 2011

Choose Your Own Adventure

So since poor pitiful me is in Salamanca, Spain this weekend while the rest of the group is living up Paris and Amsterdam, I had to create my own adventure. I know what your thinking, "wow she has such a tough life." It's so true. Ha NOT! How many people do you know that can say while spending a weekend at home they got to visit 2 beautiful, 500ish year old buildings? Ya not many. Well thats how I spent my oh so boring weekend. Last time I took the weekend to explore Salamanca I missed two very important sights. Well I didn't actually miss them, more like I took pictures of the outsides of them without knowing what they actually were, so today I went inside. I visited the San Esteban Church and Monastery and the Las Dueñas Convent, meaning the women's convent. San Esteban is a Gothic style monestary built in the 16th century with Plateresque and Baroque decoration. Christopher Columbus found refuge in the monastery about 7 years before his famous voyage and it is said that monks there were actually the first to believe in Christopher Columbus' plan to reach India by sailing west. Las Dueñas Convent was started in 1419 by Dominican nuns, and contains a beautiful courtyard in the center. The nuns who still run the place are famous for their dulces, meaning sweets, and every guide book I read said you must stop by the shop to take part in some of their pastries, and I couldn't possibly ignore their advice. So naturally I stopped in and I had a lovely conversation with the nun working there who recommened that I try the almond cookies, after telling me I spoke wonderful Spanish (point Kelsey!). I then took my delicious treat outside and enjoyed it while sitting in the plaza. Later, I also tried to visit the Salamanca Museum, but couldn't find it, and instead got lost. But hey, just another adventure right?

No comments:

Post a Comment